Since 2009, with funding from the National Lottery and the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, ICUF has annually administered a number of awards to support the development of the Irish language in Canada.
Teagascóirí Gaeilge are appointed each year to teach Irish in our partner universities, and surrounding communities. We are delighted to have the University of Alberta and the University of Prince Edward Island join us this year as partners.
The awards for 2018/19 were awarded to the following individuals who were appointed as Teagascóirí Gaeilge to the universities listed below:
- Dean Farrell, St. Thomas University, Fredericton
- Emer Nic Labhraí, Concordia University, Montreal
- Órlaith Ní Chaoinleáin, St Michael’s College, University of Toronto
- Neil Ó Briain, Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Síle Concannon, University of Ottawa, Ontario
- Rebecca Hayes, Memorial University, Newfoundland
- Gormlaith Maynes, University of Prince Edward Island
- Barra Ó Scannláin, University of Alberta, Edmonton
And in conjunction with our partner universities and Oireachtas Gaeilge Cheanada, a number of scholarships are provided to Canadian scholars of the Irish language to attend an intensive summer residential Irish Language course in the National University of Ireland, Galway. Those awarded for Summer 2018 are:
University of Prince Edward Island:
Oireachtas Gaeilge Cheanada: