It is the mission of ICUF to support and develop the relationship between Canada and Ireland, through the organisation and facilitation of scholarly exchange between both countries. Scholarships are awarded to candidates of the highest calibre, whose work relates to both Irish and Canadian interests, and provides the potential to develop ongoing international links in that area.
This mission is realised through the operation of four distinct scholarship programs, each of which supports scholarly travel from Ireland to Canada, and from Canada to Ireland;
- The D’Arcy McGee Beacon Fellowship enables leading Irish and Canadian academics, researchers and thinkers to connect online, in a programme of activity designed to nurture and develop strong and fruitful collaborations which will enrich connections between our two countries.
- The James M Flaherty Scholarship Program initiated in 2016, supports both emerging and established scholars, from across all academic disciplines.
- The Dobbin Atlantic Scholarship Programme initiated in 2016, supports the development of a new generation of academic, artistic, cultural and economic links between Atlantic Canada and Ireland.
- The Irish Language Programme supports the growth and development of the Irish language in Canada.
- From 1995 to 2016, the Dobbin Scholarship Programme provided research travel scholarships to 200 Canadian and Irish scholars, across a wide range of academic disciplines. This programme ceased operation in 2016.